Dear Lucy, How do I know it’s time for a career change, or role change?
From ‘confused career changer’
Hello ‘confused career changer.’ Now, I wonder if you know the answer as you asked the question? How do you know if it is time to change your career? Or change your role? These can be two very different things.
If you are thinking about changing career, I would like to invite you to explore the following questions:
- How are you currently feeling about your job? Are you bored? Are you feeling too challenged? Or not challenged enough? What about your current benefit package? What is it really about the current work you are doing that isn’t fulfilling your needs?
- What did you want to do in my younger years?
- What are your current skills? What are the transferable skills?
- If you waved a magic wand, what would I be doing?
- What is the business reality? If you pulled together all of your passions and interests and look to creating your dream job… What is the business reality?
- What would you do if you knew you couldn’t fail?
If you are exploring a role change, I would always suggest having a conversation with your line manager before taking a leap. Especially if you’re working in a company that you enjoy. And as the old wives tale goes… Nothing ventured nothing gained.
Good luck confused career changer.
From Lucy Grimwade
Do you have any career changing advice? Or maybe you followed your own journey with changing a career? Using the comment box below, let us know your journey and the blockers that you may have met, and how you overcame them.