Welcome back to the Speak Female Podcast in this Episode Lucy Grimwade is joined by Tracy James, Abi Douglas and Maryanne Fleming discussing the impact of the pandemic and our relationship with work. From what’s different in terms of how you operate inside and outside of work? What is better or worse? How do you think tech has enabled the ways of working? to the Bums on seats mentality and What challenges have you faced with work? Ending with an offering of a toolbox on how we can continue to work on our relationship with work in this ever changing world.
S3|E45 Female Empowerment with Lucy Grimwade, Abi Douglas, Maryanne Fleming, Lucy Harragan & Saira Arif
Welcome back to the Speak Female Podcast in this episode Lucy Grimwade is joined by Abi Douglas, Maryanne Fleming, Lucy Harragan & Saira Arif as they discuss Female Empowerment. From what Female Empowerment means to how we can all start empowering women in the workplace – Promoting within TO shouting out success! Ending with a toolbox to how you can empower the women in your life.
It has been said that success is often built on strong personal branding — because it immediately tells us who a person is, where they have been, their skills and where they are going. Personal branding isn’t limited to those in the public eye… As a leader it is more important than ever to start to develop your personal brand and make it work for you.
Here are 3 Personal Brands that have inspired me!
Richard Branson is one of the most successful business leaders of our time. As the founder of the Virgin Group, Branson has achieved great success in his business ventures over the course of his career. During this time, he has also managed to develop a powerful reputation for himself. Branson is known for the great lengths he has taken towards generating publicity for the Virgin brand. He also has a reputation for being a sincere and accommodating person. Branson has been protective of the rights of reporters during a crisis. Additionally, he also travels to the site of airline issues in order to comfort passengers and express gratitude to his staff. Over the course of his career, Branson has managed to build a personal brand that portrays him as a fun-loving yet caring individual. While he has received criticism in the past, his success far outweighs his failures.
You can’t deny that Beyoncé is a master in personal branding. She stuck exactly to her brand throughout her career and built it into one of the most dependable and trustworthy personas in the music industry. She grew her personal brand identity from girl band sex symbol to powerhouse feminist. As she grew so did her personal brand. Beyoncé takes her fans on a journey and stands up for what is right…. whilst living her values.
Read my Brand it like Beyoncé article here:
“Oprah Winfrey and her brand Oprah have a net worth of $2.6 billion. The Oprah Winfrey Show was a household name that inspired and helped millions of viewers to live their lives to the fullest. Not many would have predicted the rise of a woman of color when white men dominated the TV industry, but after successfully running for 25 years (it came to a close in 2011), her show still remains the highest-rated daytime talk show in American TV history.
Oprah didn’t conform to the norms of a what being a TV host entailed and won her audience over with her authenticity, honesty, and genuineness. Through her show, she helped many people open up and share their stories, and she did the same. Her ‘Book Club’ (in the show), launched many authors and helped them become bestsellers. She also went on to successfully launch O: The Oprah Magazine and is a dedicated activist for children’s rights. Oprah was awarded the nation’s highest civilian honor, the Presidential Medal of Freedom by then President Barack Obama in 2013.
Personal Branding Message: Oprah Winfrey’s personal brand is being authentic and true to oneself and her viewers. She has been able to engage with and capture audience interest with real, inspiring stories from people her audience could connect with.
Creating a realistic brand persona and portraying who you are will help you cultivate and maintain a strong brand image in the long run. Apart from being true to your audience, your brand value lies in how you can motivate others and make their lives better.” – https://www.martechadvisor.com/articles/social-media-marketing-2/personal-branding-examples-from-six-women-on-the-world-stage/
Our brains are incredibly powerful. As we go through life we have experiences, life events and other people’s influences that have all fed into our subconscious mind. Our current behaviours have been modeled on what we saw growing up:
- 0 to 7 years is where we imprint
- 7 to 14 years is when model our behaviours
- 14 to 21 is where we learn our socialisation skills are developed
Moreover, with all this mind… Our brains then use deletion, distortion and generalisation to either fight, flight or freeze (behaviours). Which sometimes protects us, but can often hinder us.
Brain training – NLP
- N = Neuro is the physical components as well as the mental and emotional components of our neurology.
- L = Linguistic is the language that we use, and more specifically, how we communicate with others and ourselves.
- P = Programming is the way our past experiences, thoughts and emotions affect all areas of our lives.
Cause & effect: Putting your focus more on the “How” in place of “why” is the basic goal of Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP). It’s very practical with the aim of training you to be in charge of your own mind, the way you think, your views towards past and present events, and mostly your approach towards life.
Brain Training – CBT
Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) is a talking therapy that can help you manage your mindset by changing the way you think and behave. CBT is based on the concept that your thoughts, feelings, physical sensations and actions are interconnected, and that negative thoughts and feelings can trap you in a vicious cycle.
Leaves on a stream:
(1) Sit in a comfortable position and either close your eyes or rest them gently on a fixed spot in the room.
(2) Visualize yourself sitting beside a gently flowing stream with leaves floating along the surface of the water. Pause 10 seconds.
(3) For the next few minutes, take each thought that enters your mind and place it on a leaf… let it float by. Do this with each thought – pleasurable, painful, or neutral. Even if you have joyous or enthusiastic thoughts, place them on a leaf and let them float by.
(4) If your thoughts momentarily stop, continue to watch the stream. Sooner or later, your thoughts will start up again. Pause 20 seconds.
(5) Allow the stream to flow at its own pace. Don’t try to speed it up and rush your thoughts along. You’re not trying to rush the leaves along. You are allowing them to come and go at their own pace.
(6) If your mind says “This is dumb,” “I’m bored,” or “I’m not doing this right” place those thoughts on leaves, too, and let them pass. Pause 20 seconds.
(7) If a leaf gets stuck, allow it to hang around until it’s ready to float by. If the thought comes up again, watch it float by another time. Pause 20 seconds.
(8) If a difficult or painful feeling arises, simply acknowledge it. Say to yourself, “I notice myself having a feeling of boredom/impatience/frustration.” Place those thoughts on leaves and allow them float along.
(9) From time to time, your thoughts may hook you and distract you from being fully present in this exercise. This is normal. As soon as you realize that you have become sidetracked, gently bring your attention back to the visualization exercise.
Coaching that works around you
As a Professional Development Coach, I am qualified and experienced in two neuroscience-based and therapeutic coaching techniques: Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP) and Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT).
This is in addition to my knowledge and experience with more traditional coaching practices as a Certified Professional Coach. Together these provide the tools to gain deep insight and understanding of your mindset and the way you think and show up in the world. You will easily be able to apply all the techniques we work on, in your day to day life.
To find out more, book your virtual coffee with me: HERE